Shantanu Basu has 20+ years of experience in development of intellectual property portfolios for companies and institutions in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and life science-related fields.
His practice includes strategic counseling for intellectual property issues and patent portfolio development and management for biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies as well as research organizations in the US and abroad.
Previously Dr. Basu was a member of intellectual property groups at the Silicon Valley offices of major international general practice law firms: Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Morrison & Foerster and Mintz Levin.
Dr. Basu’s knowledge and experience in U.S and international patent law has made him an attorney of choice for numerous corporations and academic research institutions in Europe, the Far East and South Asia, as well as in the United States.
Dr. Basu holds a Ph.D. in molecular biology from Albert Einstain collegfe of Medicine, NY and researched retrovirology as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of California, San Francisco with Dr. Harold Varmus.
He has special technical expertise related to the areas of virology, molecular biology, immunology, small molecules, biologics, therapeutics, drug delivery systems, diagnostics, high throughput screening, microarrays, biofuels, nanotechnology, gene therapy, genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics.
His practice involves prosecuting patent applications, as well as post-grant practices including, interferences, oppositions, re-examinations, and reissues. He has been active in litigation of diagnostics and biologics patents in the US and globally. He has advised on life cycle management and regulatory issues for pharmaceuticals and biologics in the US and abroad.
• IP Protection Strategies for Antibody Biologics, World IP Forum New Delhi 2018
• IP Management for Start-Up companies, 9th Global IP Convention New Delhi 2017
• IP Issues in Biotechnology and Public Health, 8th Global IP Convention New Delhi 2016
• BIOLOGICS AND BIOSIMILARS - THE DANCE FOR PATENTS, World IP Forum, Bangkok 2015
• Biosimilars Legislation in the US, Power of IP: Gateway to Growth, Mumbai 2015
• TRIPS and INDIA’S PATENT LAWS - a biotech/pharma perspective. Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, California 2014
• Managing Patent Life Cycle of pharmaceuticals. IP Leadership Forum, New Delhi 2014
• Strategies for Challenging Patent Validity after AIA. 4th Global IP Convention, New Delhi 2012
• TRIPS AGREEMENT AND IP LAW, Thomas Jefferson School of Law, San Diego, 2011
• Chartered Institute of Patent Agents, UK (CIPA-UK) IP Conference, New Delhi, 2011
• BIOCOM CAL-Asia Conference, San Diego, 2010